So my TV went out last week. Or so I thought it did. I checked the cables going into the back of the TV and into the wall, and I glanced at the surge protector to make sure everything was plugged in...but no luck.
My friend, Alicia, was back in town last week, so she came over one night to visit. I mentioned to her that my TV wasn't working, so she took it upon herself to try to find a solution to the problem (she has an engineering background, so it must have been the natural thing for her to do...she also looked at my dishwasher and found some loose screws at the bottom, but that's a whole other problem). Turns out, the power cord had just barely come loose from the surge protector, so I didn't catch that when I just took a quick glance at it instead of actually pushing the cords all the way in.
Back in high school, she used to jokingly tell me I should have been the blonde one...and I sure felt like it that night ;-)
Anyway.....my point is that since I didn't have my TV to distract me last week, I was a lot more productive around my house. I went a little crazy finally getting a few things organized.
Organization makes me happy :-)
I had been putting off organizing a bunch of papers, so anytime I got more in the mail it just seemed to pile up in my kitchen. Then I saw this post on Pinterest one day, and it inspired me to create a "command center" area in my kitchen to try to keep it all in order.
Seriously, my kitchen counters were a disaster! Every time I walk into my house, anything I have in my hands ends up getting dropped on the closest counter. But now, all those papers are neatly tucked away in this little mesh organizer I picked up at Target.
I have folders for incoming mail that needs to be sorted, outgoing mail, store coupons, receipts and various statements that I want to hang on to, and other papers that need to be filed away in my office. Ahhh...it feels good to get all that mess under control!
I also organized the drawers in my bathroom. I store a lot of my Rodan + Fields products in there, but everything would fall over any time I'd close the drawers. So being the lazy girl that I am, I eventually stopped putting things away and just left it sit out by the sink. But now, everything has a nice little spot in these plastic trays I found.
I know it sounds silly, but this simple little fix makes all the difference!
Oh, and I took some old candle jars and turned them into storage containers for Q-tips, gauze pads (to use with R+F toners rather than cotton balls), and my toothbrush (because I didn't want to have a separate container for just one toothbrush).
I also mentioned a while back that I wanted to get a bench to put by my front door. I think I posted a picture around Christmas, but it was dark and more focused on the Christmas decorations on the shelf above my bench. But here it is now.
I picked up some collapsible storage cubes at Walmart to put in the bench, so now I have an area to store all of Athena's toys, her Thunder Shirt (to help calm her during storms), and my workout gear (resistance band, jump rope, etc.). It's nice finally having a spot to keep all those things out of sight!
And last but not least, I have this small table by my back patio door. This has more of Athena's stuff in it so it's out of sight but easily accessible. I keep her leash and pinch collar in here for when we go on walks as well as some treats. Since it's in my kitchen, it holds my cookbooks too...and a picture of Athena, of course :-)
Everything is slowly but surely finding its own place in my house, and it's a good feeling to finally get all the clutter under control! Now I just need to find a solution for laundry and dishes.....
My friend, Alicia, was back in town last week, so she came over one night to visit. I mentioned to her that my TV wasn't working, so she took it upon herself to try to find a solution to the problem (she has an engineering background, so it must have been the natural thing for her to do...she also looked at my dishwasher and found some loose screws at the bottom, but that's a whole other problem). Turns out, the power cord had just barely come loose from the surge protector, so I didn't catch that when I just took a quick glance at it instead of actually pushing the cords all the way in.
Back in high school, she used to jokingly tell me I should have been the blonde one...and I sure felt like it that night ;-)
Anyway.....my point is that since I didn't have my TV to distract me last week, I was a lot more productive around my house. I went a little crazy finally getting a few things organized.
Organization makes me happy :-)
I had been putting off organizing a bunch of papers, so anytime I got more in the mail it just seemed to pile up in my kitchen. Then I saw this post on Pinterest one day, and it inspired me to create a "command center" area in my kitchen to try to keep it all in order.
Seriously, my kitchen counters were a disaster! Every time I walk into my house, anything I have in my hands ends up getting dropped on the closest counter. But now, all those papers are neatly tucked away in this little mesh organizer I picked up at Target.
I have folders for incoming mail that needs to be sorted, outgoing mail, store coupons, receipts and various statements that I want to hang on to, and other papers that need to be filed away in my office. Ahhh...it feels good to get all that mess under control!
I also organized the drawers in my bathroom. I store a lot of my Rodan + Fields products in there, but everything would fall over any time I'd close the drawers. So being the lazy girl that I am, I eventually stopped putting things away and just left it sit out by the sink. But now, everything has a nice little spot in these plastic trays I found.
I know it sounds silly, but this simple little fix makes all the difference!
Oh, and I took some old candle jars and turned them into storage containers for Q-tips, gauze pads (to use with R+F toners rather than cotton balls), and my toothbrush (because I didn't want to have a separate container for just one toothbrush).
I also mentioned a while back that I wanted to get a bench to put by my front door. I think I posted a picture around Christmas, but it was dark and more focused on the Christmas decorations on the shelf above my bench. But here it is now.
I picked up some collapsible storage cubes at Walmart to put in the bench, so now I have an area to store all of Athena's toys, her Thunder Shirt (to help calm her during storms), and my workout gear (resistance band, jump rope, etc.). It's nice finally having a spot to keep all those things out of sight!
And last but not least, I have this small table by my back patio door. This has more of Athena's stuff in it so it's out of sight but easily accessible. I keep her leash and pinch collar in here for when we go on walks as well as some treats. Since it's in my kitchen, it holds my cookbooks too...and a picture of Athena, of course :-)
Everything is slowly but surely finding its own place in my house, and it's a good feeling to finally get all the clutter under control! Now I just need to find a solution for laundry and dishes.....







No comments:
Post a Comment