The countdown is on, y'all! In just a few short weeks, this girl right here will be a married woman!
![]() |
| Bachelorette party with special guest Luke Bryan! |
With the wedding quickly approaching, I've been doing a lot of reminiscing and reflecting on the journey I've taken to get where I am today. Just over 3 years ago, my whole world seemed to come to a crashing halt when my ex-boyfriend of nearly 6 years broke up with me. I was devastated and became miserably depressed. I clung on to any hope that he would come crawling back...and he actually did for a millisecond, until I tried putting my foot down and demanding to be treated better. Then he disappeared again. And eventually, I began to realize he wasn't worth it. I deserved so much more...and if I ended up with him, I would just be settling and I'd be unhappy the rest of my life.
I didn't want that; it just took me a while to see it with my own 2 eyes and wrap my little head around what it all meant. So I started down my own little journey of self-discovery. I had gotten so wrapped up in my ex and his life that I barely knew who I was as an individual anymore. I needed to find myself back. I needed to figure out what I wanted in life.
![]() |
| Engagement picture, courtesy of our awesome wedding photographer |
I turned to uplifting self-help books and blogs that I could relate to...women who've faced and overcome their own struggles in life. Their writing all seemed to be centered on faith and developing a stronger relationship with the Lord. So I started reading my Bible every night (and still do...I finally made it to the New Testament a few months ago, ha!) and praying all the time. Eventually, instead of hoping that my ex would want me back, I decided to move on and started praying to find my future husband...someone who would really love and respect me for the rest of my life. I remember making a list of qualities in my mind of what I wanted in a significant other, and finding a godly man that would go to church with me every week was a top priority.
So when I met Remmie in the most random place 2 days after Christmas that year and he mentioned his friends at church and serving at his church's picnic, I almost felt like it was a sign from up above. I would later come to find out that he had every other quality on the little mental list I had made...
![]() |
| Engagement picture, courtesy of our wedding photographer |
* He is a family man. When I first met him, I didn't know that he already had a son...but I've come to really appreciate that and give him major credit for the great job he's done raising R3. He is a wonderful father and totally dedicated to his family!
* He makes me laugh. I never realized how important it is to just be goofy, but he has a great sense of humor. Of course, he can also carry on deep, meaningful conversations too. So whether I'm crying on his shoulder or dancing around the kitchen...he just gets me.
* He's outdoorsy. While I like to tease him for being a "city slicker," he does like hunting and fishing (and lovin' every day...right, Luke Bryan??). I think his brother-in-law broke him in for me ;-) ha! After growing up on a dairy farm out in the country, I knew I would need someone that could fit in with my family. He may not have a big truck for me to ride shotgun in (yet), but he can still roll with the best of them.
![]() |
| Engagement picture, courtesy of our wedding photographer |
* He loves to travel. This was a huge deal for me, and he may actually get the travel itch more often than I do. Our honeymoon is going to be a complete surprise for me, because he's planning it all himself! :-)
* He likes to cook and try out new recipes. I love being in the kitchen, and being with someone who enjoys it as well makes it that much better. I hate to admit it, but I think he may actually be a better cook than me! I'm not sure if he picked it up from him mom or if he was forced to learn things as a single parent, but it paid off!
There were a few other things on my list, but surprisingly, being a Cardinals fan wasn't one of them. I've come to appreciate the fact that he's a Cubs fan and actually enjoy the rivalry and friendly banter now. It's pretty cute when he gets excited when the Cubs are actually playing well...
![]() |
| Engagement picture, courtesy of our wedding photographer |
Now here we are over 2.5 years later, getting ready to say "I do." I would have never thought I'd truly find a guy like Remmie, who loves and respects me in a way I've never experienced before. But the good Lord went above and beyond when he answered my prayers. I'm so thankful I get to spend the rest of my life with him!
I love you, Remmie!





No comments:
Post a Comment