Monday, March 31, 2014

Southern Soiree

Hola!

How is everyone doing?  I'm pretty tired, myself.  I had another whirlwind weekend that I'm still recuperating from.  I headed down south to visit my friend Alicia this past weekend and had a wonderful time :-)

I left Friday morning and arrived around 5:00 pm.  I got settled in, and then we cooked some cod fish and rice for supper since we couldn't have meat.  Then we popped some popcorn and got comfy on the couch to watch a movie.  Alicia loves Disney movies and I hadn't seen Frozen yet, so we decided to watch that while I was there.  It was really cute and the music is still stuck in my head!

We had plans to go to a painting party the next day and were supposed to bring a dessert or appetizer, so once the movie was over we made a cherry delight.  By the time we were done, it was almost midnight and I was super tired, so I called it a night and headed to bed.

The next morning, we made some homemade pancakes for breakfast (yummm!) and then headed out to do some exploring.  The area where Alicia lives has several historic houses, but only two of them were open for tours on Saturday.

The first home we toured was an antebellum house dating back to the 1850s.  It was four stories high with a cupola in the center with windows on all sides providing views for miles (only the first two stories could be toured though, so we didn't get to go up to the cupola and look around).


Pictures weren't allowed inside the house, but I snapped one from right outside the front entrance..ha!  I loved the winding double staircase.  Each floor had stairs and a balcony like this with the center of the house open to the cupola.

The gardens outside the house had massive magnolia trees like the one below that were over 200 years old.  The other plants hadn't started blooming yet, but I'm sure the gardens are beautiful in the spring and summer months.

This house also had a "peacock pit," as the tour guide called it, so we walked down a little trail to check it out.  I didn't realize how long their tails were!

We stopped at another house to tour, but it wasn't as impressive and the tour guide seemed a little grouchy.  I didn't take any pictures, but we did get a kick out of this stop sign that was nearby.

After the house tours, we stopped by an old civil war cemetery that we had read about.  We walked around and found the Confederate soldiers, but we couldn't find the Union soldiers.  We did some research afterwards and learned that the Union soldiers were later moved to national cemeteries.  It was still shocking to see all of Confederate graves there (over 2000, most of which were marked as "Unknown Confederate Soldier").

After our little history lesson, we headed back to Alicia's house to rest up and get a few things together for the painting party that night.  Some of her friends picked us up and we all carpooled over to the party where I got to meet quite a few of the new friends she's made since she moved.  Here we are with our aprons on :-)

We were supposed to make a painting of trees with falling leaves.  Here's how mine turned out.

Here Alicia and I are with our masterpieces.  The party was held in a garage, and it was pretty chilly outside - you can tell Alicia is cold!  Oh, and she didn't like the yellow paint color of her middle tree, so she decided to add a few storm clouds and a lightning bolt that was striking the tree ;-)

I had a lot of fun painting, and it was interesting to meet her friends and hear all about their families, faith, and even adventures in homeschooling!

That night, we picked up a pizza and headed back to Alicia's house to watch another Disney movie I hadn't seen, Monsters University.  Painting and animated movies- we're such kids at heart! :-)  hehe

The next morning, we went to a late mass and then it was time for me to head home.  The weekend flew by,  but I was so happy to get to spend it with Alicia.  I love traveling and don't even mind long road trips alone, so hopefully there will be some more Southern adventures in my future!

No comments: