Monday, January 6, 2014

Winter Classic Trip - Part 1

I hope everyone is enjoying 2014 so far. My year has been off to a great start!  We are currently experiencing below zero temperatures, though, so it's the perfect night to stay inside and recap my recent adventures.  I've got so much to update on, I'm not even sure where to begin...

Jessica and I decided a few weeks ago to go on a trip over our holiday break.  She's a big Detroit Redwings fan, and they were playing in the Winter Classic this year.  However, she decided she'd rather go to the Alumni Showdown so she could see some of the older players that she grew up watching.
(Source)

Jessica came home for Christmas, so we drove back up to her apartment in Chicago the Sunday between Christmas and the New Year.  Her sister goes to school up there, so she rode back with us too.


Once we arrived in Chicago, we unloaded the car and then headed out to dinner at Portillo's in Skokie.  I told Jessica a while back that I thought it would be fun to track down the Home Alone house sometime, so we crossed that goal off my bucket list that night.

This is a bit ironic, because I felt like I was reliving the movie by the end of my trip.....

The house is located in Winnetka, which is such a pretty little town.  I was a little disappointed that the house wasn't all decked out in Christmas lights, but it was still fun to see the neighborhood.  I kept imagining the Wet Bandits driving up and down the streets in their van and also tried to figure out which church Kevin visited.

Afterwards, we headed back to Jessica's apartment so she could unpack and then repack her bags so we could get on the road to Michigan bright and early the next morning.
View from Jessica's apartment of the sun rising over Lake Michigan
Jessica grew up in Michigan and always tells me stories about her childhood.  One place she's talked about a few times is Frankenmuth, which is a little German community that celebrates Christmas all year long.  When we decided to make a trip to Michigan, I told her it would be fun to visit Frankenmuth and experience the Christmas excitement during the holidays.  So Monday morning, we departed for Frankenmuth.

It was too early to check into our hotel when we arrived, so we decided to check out the Birch Run Premium Outlets.  We did a little shopping, and Jessica scored a great deal on a Coach bag!  After an hour or two, we headed to the hotel, dropped off our bags, and then headed out to walk around town to do some shopping and look at Christmas lights.
The Bavarian Inn
Zehnder's
Horse-drawn carriage rides
We decided to eat at the Bavarian Inn, which is famous for it's fried chicken dinners.  I live in a German community where we eat fried chicken all the time, so I felt right at home.  My chicken was served with dressing, mashed potatoes, and gravy as well as...jelly bread!  I got a kick out of that, because my family puts jelly on everything.  It must be a German thing ;-)  It was such a fun experience..the employees even wore lederhosen!


After dinner, we made our way to Bronner's - the world's largest Christmas store!


I was in Heaven!! I love Christmas and all the pretty decorations.










We wrapped the night up with a stop at the Frankenmuth Brewery..

..and then headed back to our hotel across the street to watch the Redwings game on TV and get ready for another busy day.

Stay tuned!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha I love it!! And I love how many photos of Bronner's you have...all 361 days of it..plus red solo cups!