Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Winter Classic Trip - Part 3

Our final day in Michigan was a pretty crazy one.  New Year's Day was the day of the actual Winter Classic game, and Jessica and I wanted to check out the festivities at Michigan Stadium even though we didn't have tickets.
(Source)

We checked out of our hotel and headed towards Ann Arbor.  Traffic was pretty backed up and the roads were getting bad from the snow, so it took us a while to get there.
I've never seen so many Canadians, eh!

We got to Michigan Stadium and people were charging $30-$50 just to park.  We managed to negotiate with some people that lived nearby to let us park in their yard and then headed down to the events.


We weren't there long, because I had a flight to catch that night in Chicago.  We headed back to the car and started making our way back to Illinois.  However, the roads were terrible, and a 4-hour drive turned into about 6 hours.  My flight was supposed to depart at 6:25, but we didn't get to the airport till about 6:00 or so.  Needless to say, I was in a rush.  I checked my bag, got through security, and made a mad dash for my gate.

This is the part where I felt like I was reliving Home Alone - I could hear "Run, Run, Rudolph" playing in my head as I ran all the way to Gate B-21.  I was fully dressed in several layers of winter clothes, and by the time I got halfway to my gate, I felt like I was going to throw up from being so hot and worn-out.  I arrived at my gate right around 6:25, and the monitor showed a different flight number on the screen.  What? Did my flight leave already?!

I checked with the closest airport employee I could find, and they said my plane hadn't arrive yet so my flight was delayed.  Ugh!  I ran that whole way for no reason.

It was a long night at the airport due to the weather and a change in flight crews.  After several flight delays, asking random people to borrow their cell phone chargers, and getting hit on by a TSA guy (he even gave me a business card with his phone number on it and told me to call him the next time I was in Chicago - apparently I met his height requirement?!), my flight finally departed around 1:00 am.  If I had been in Home Alone, the Polka King of the Midwest could have gotten me home quicker in his Budget truck!

I landed in St. Louis around 2:00 am, and my sweet sister and her boyfriend were kind enough to stay up late to pick me up even though they had to work the next morning.  The roads were snow-packed, so I crashed on my sister's couch that night and drove home the next morning after playing with this guy for a while..

I'm just thankful I made it home safely!  So many people got stranded at the airport during the snow storm, but I'm glad I was able to make it home after just a few hours.  Despite the flight issues, experiencing this trip with my best friend was soo much fun!

No comments: