Now that most of the major purchases for my new house are out of the way, I've been starting to think more about design and decorating ideas. I still have a few more purchases to make, but I wanted to list everything out to organize my thoughts. So here we go...
1. Drapes & vertical blinds. I still need to hang some kind of window treatments on the bay window in my living room. My living room is pretty much all neutrals except for the area rug - the walls are tan-ish, the carpet is beige, the furniture is light brown, and the area rug is a mix of colors, but the most dominant is red. So I decided to try to add some more color to the room using drapes and throw pillows. I purchased some panels this weekend similar to these, except the colors are reversed - deep red with a gold design.
I still need to hang them up, but to be honest, I'm not completely sold on them. It's so hard finding nice curtains that don't cost a fortune, though! I need to get some vertical blinds to hang over my patio door yet, too.
2. Dining chairs & bar stools. I bought a used dining table and chairs last year, and I've been wanting to reupholster the cushions on the chairs. Right now, they have a dated floral pattern on them with a green background, and I was wanting to change them up with something that actually matched the rest of my furniture. I've got my eye on bar stools similar these:
So I've been debating whether I should try to match the fabric on the dining chairs with the neutral bar stools or stick with my red theme. And should I do a solid material or something with a pattern? Decisions, decisions!
3. Wall decor above the television. My living room has vaulted ceilings, so there is a lot of wall space above the TV. I don't want to put a bunch of holes in my wall, so a photo collage is out of the picture. I could hang a big canvas photo or mirror, like this:
Some type of art, like this:
A photo ledge, similar to these:
Or maybe my brother would let me use some of his home decor ;-)
Just kidding!!
4. Wall decor above my bed. I hadn't really put too much thought into this yet, but I saw this on pinterest the other night and thought it was really cute!
I think this would be a pretty easy DIY project, and I have TONS of pictures I could use.
5. Entry way coat rack. My house does not have a closet near the front door, so I would like to add some hooks on the wall in the entry way to hang coats. I was thinking something with a mirror or shelf, similar to these:
6. Guest bedroom. The guy I bought my house from left a bed frame in the basement, so I moved it up to the guest bedroom. I bought myself a new mattress a couple weekends ago and moved my old mattress to use for the guest bed. Now I need to find a quilt to put on it. I'm hoping to win one playing quilt bingo at a local church picnic, but if that doesn't happen, I might see if my mom will let me take one of the quilts my Grandma made before she passed away.
I would love to have something with sentimental value like that in my home. Then all I need is a night stand and maybe some decorations to hang on the walls. I might try coming up with some kind of DIY headboard to put with the bed frame, too.
7. Landscaping. I think I'm going to wait and cover this in a separate post. This post is getting pretty long already!
I don't plan on doing a room-by-room tour of my house, but I might take pictures of my progress on various projects along the way. For now, though, I'm still trying to decide on everything. Leave some comments and let me know your thoughts - I'd love to get some advice on all of this!
2 comments:
1.) Are the curtains heavy? If they are a scarlet color and are heavy, they may be too dark causing the room to appear smaller than it is.
2.) I would try to coordinate the chairs at the kitchen table with the bar stools. Unless there is red in your kitchen as well. Like maybe a rug, something on the wall, decorative towels or wash cloths.
3.) For open wall spaces, i always prefer large statement pieces. Clocks, art work, some kind of decor. I would only do a large canvas print if it's a wedding photo or a family photo.
4.) *you have 2 #4's* my biggest fear is hanging something over my bed and it falling off the wall in the middle of the night and landing on my head. Irrational perhaps even far fetched...but i am sure it has happened. So if it were my home, I would prefer something that is less if a hazard. Vinyl lettering you apply to the wall "uppercase living". And then some accent pieces on the sides.
4.) I love the idea you have for your entry way if you do not have a coat closet near the front door for your guests. You don't want your guests throwing their dirty coats on your bed when they visit...or on the back of a chair.
5.) Best of luck with the guest room! Hope you find the furniture youre looking for to complete that room.
6.) Landscaping is a tough one... its important because ultimately its the first impression of your home. You want something welcoming and easy to maintain. I cant wait to read your ideas for that aspect of your new home!
First off, thanks for pointing out the numbering! I fixed it :-)
Also, I appreciate all your input! It's some good food for thought that I'll definitely keep in mind. Thanks!
Post a Comment