I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I know I did :-) I was off from work Wednesday through Friday, so I had a nice, long break - plus no school or homework to worry about. It was pure bliss ;-)
Since I was off on Wednesday, I went over to my Grandpa's house with Mom to help prepare some of the food for our family Thanksgiving. My family eats Thanksgiving lunch instead of supper, so we always make the turkeys (yes, 2 turkeys) ahead of time and then throw it all in a roaster with the gravy. It's always nice and juicy that way.
On Thanksgiving Day, I made some cinnamon rolls for breakfast and then got the dressing ready and made a pumpkin pie. I never made dressing myself before, but it turned out delicious, if I do say so myself. When we got back to Grandpa's house, I helped make the mashed potatoes and some dinner rolls (and managed to burn my arm taking the rolls out of the oven, of all things!). Everyone usually brings a side dish, too, so we had a lot of food to go around, and I was stuffed by the time lunch was over. Then I spent the rest of the afternoon just goofing off with my family and playing with my uncle's dog.
Since my parents are dairy farmers, they never get a "day off" - the cows still need to be milked twice a day. So like any other holiday, they had to go home to do their work. Instead of sitting in the house by myself, I decided to join them out on the farm that night:
![]() |
| Moo! |
It might seem silly, but milking cows actually makes for good bonding time..ha! Then we finished the night off by watching Christmas Vacation and eating more pumpkin pie. I may or may not have had some for breakfast the next morning, too ;-)
I'm not much of a Black Friday shopper. I prefer to spend the day after Thanksgiving putting up Christmas decorations instead. I had planned to put up the Christmas tree that day while watching Elf, but I didn't get very far because some of the lights weren't working. So I finished watching the movie, did a bit of cleaning, and then went to the eye doctor in the afternoon. That night, I met Jessica to go to a Christmas parade and lighting at her town's square. It was such a cute event, complete with free hot cocoa, carriage rides, Christmas music, and even reindeer:
![]() |
| We named him Blitzen |
After the parade, we grabbed some pizza for dinner and then went to see Catching Fire. We had to walk back through the town square on the way to the movie theater, so we stopped to snap some pictures with the Christmas lights:
On Saturday, I stayed in my pajamas all day! It was a lazy day, but I managed to finish decorating the Christmas tree. I tried using some deco mesh since I had a stock pile of it from my wreath project, but it didn't turn out as nice as I was hoping..but it still looks okay considering the tree itself is about 32 years old and has seen better days.
Sunday I went with Stephanie to do some Christmas shopping. She got some gifts for her family, and I bought a few things for myself ;-) I only got a couple things, but I was happy with the deals I found - I got a new coat for $30! The one I have now is getting old and starting to unravel at the seams, so I needed to find a replacement.
Yesterday was back to work and back to school...that made for a long day after having so many days off. I'm in an accounting class right now, but it's not like any accounting class I've ever taken. It's "managerial" accounting, so we don't deal with debits and credits or assets and liabilities. Instead, last night we learned that body parts from farm animals are used to make Jello and marshmallows.
Ummm..come again??
a) How did I not know that after being around cows my entire life??
b) What does that have to do with accounting?!
I had an even harder time concentrating after hearing that.
Anyway...how did I get so off track? I planned to do some Cyber Monday shopping when I got home last night...but of course, by the time I could get to my computer, some of the things I had planned to buy as Christmas gifts were already sold out. Boo!
Only 3 weeks left to figure out what else to buy now..



No comments:
Post a Comment